The 48th Annual Merrie Monarch Festival
Experience the grace and grandeur of the the 2011 Merrie Monarch Festival with this commemorative Blu-ray set. From the rich cultural traditions of the hula kahiko to the vibrant artistry of the hula ‘auana, this collection captures the world’s most prestigious hula competition on four discs.
• 56 hula kahiko and hula ‘auana performances by 24 hālau
• 24 performances by 12 Miss Aloha Hula contestants
• Behind-the-scenes extras and interviews
• Commentary on each hula performance
• Bonus footage of other Merrie Monarch festivities in Hilo
The Merrie Monarch Festival is named in honor of King David Kalākaua, who is credited with reviving the hula and is affectionately known as the “Merrie Monarch.”
This annual sold-out festival is held at the Edith Kanaka‘ole Stadium in Hilo, Hawai‘i, and recalls the island’s role in the origins of hula—where Hi‘iakaikapoliopele first learned hula from Hōpoe and displayed her talents to her sister, the fire goddess Pele.
Here among the culture and stories of Hawai‘i, our hula tradition lives on!
2011. Run time 12 hrs. 10 min.